This creamy and savory risotto is elevated with the addition of tart barberries. The earthy flavor of the mushrooms pairs perfectly with the tangy notes of the barberries. Serve it with a side of sautéed kale or a fresh green salad to balance out the richness of the risotto.
Serving: 6 | Calories: 250 | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup barberries
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 5-7 minutes until they are golden brown. Remove the mushrooms from the pot and set them aside.
- In the same pot, add the rice and stir it to coat it with the oil. Add the broth, one cup at a time, stirring constantly until each cup is absorbed before adding the next cup.
- Stir in the barberries and sautéed mushrooms.
- Continue to stir the rice until it is creamy and tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the butter and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the risotto hot.
- Sautéed kale or spinach
- Roasted vegetables (such as asparagus or Brussels sprouts)
- Mixed greens salad